Thursday, March 10, 2011

breaking down a FQ

If you're like me, I prefer to buy fat quarters.
I can buy them as I need them (or as I can afford them), and get a nice selection of fabric for a quilt.
I'm a little bit intimidated by quilts that use something other than squares, or some type
of cut that doesn't start out as a square.
and if you're like me again, I'm always wondering how many squares I can get out
of a fat quarter and how many fat quarters I'll need to buy.

Here's where this post will come in handy! (i knew there was a point to this post somewhere...)

One FQ equals

99 - 2" squares
56 - 2.5" squares
42 - 3" squares
30 - 3.5" squares
20 - 4" squares
16 - 4.5" squares
12 - 5" squares
12 - 5.5" squares
9 - 6" squares
6 - 6.5" squares
4 - 8" squares
4 - 9" squares

I've had to buy .25 of a metre before, and compared to my fat quarter purchase - I got much more out of the fat quarter!



1 comment: