Friday, March 18, 2011

Denim Rag-Quilt Dog Bed

I finished up a dog bed for our pup, Zelda.
okay she's not really a pup, she's totally 3 years old.

I used some old jeans that we didnt' wear anymore. Check out the how to after the photos!

Here's the bottom view:


Here's the top view:


I cut the legs out of the jeans, and cut all the seams out as well.
I sewed all the legs together (it was about 4 legs, different shades), RIGHT side together.
the amount of jean legs you use will depend on the size of the dog bed you need to make!
Once they were all sewed together, I attached them to the purple fabric for the top piece - sew only 3 out of 4 sides, you will need one side to stuff your stuffing of choice in.
(make sure you leave an unfinished hem for this part as well!)
Once it's all sewn together, on all your unfinished hems, you are going to cut slits. 
 see how I cut both layers?
after you've cut all (on bottom piece and edges) throw it in the wash!
it will start to get nice and ruffly, and get more ruffly each time you wash it. 
now at this point, I hadn't decided what I was going to stuff the bed with. I had been thinking foam, which is why I left one side open. in the end I used 3 layers of quilt batting so I could've stuffed it and then washed it. 
oh wells! This way I can pop the seams and pull the stuffing out and applique Zelda's name on it.

 Did this make any sense at all? I should've taken more pictures but I made it in a rush.
and sorry the pictures that were taken if they look bad. I've just started using gimp and I'm all confused, I prefer photoshop much more. Any thoughts on gimp?
Let me know if you've made a dog bed - leave a link so I can check it out, and let me know what you think!

1 comment: